Ulster Rugby v Benetton Rugby

ULSTER U18 SCHOOLS’ TEAM RECOGNISED FOR INTER-PRO SUCCESS At half-time this evening we are delighted to welcome the Danske Bank Ulster U18 Schools’ team on to the pitch, in recognition for their success in winning the Schools Inter-Provincial Series for the first time in 12 years.



The Danske Bank Ulster Schools’ team travelled to play Munster Schools in Thomond Park, Limerick on Monday 28th August in the first of the four Inter- Provincial games. Munster took an early 3-0 lead with a successful fourth minute penalty, before Nathan Doak responded in kind two minutes later. On 12 minutes Ulster spurned a golden try scoring opportunity when the ball was spilled with the Munster try line at their mercy, however, another Doak penalty four minutes later edged Ulster 6-3 in front. A loose Ulster pass was then intercepted by Munster who finished off with a converted try to give the home team a 10-6 lead just before the interval. The second half was another evenly contested affair with Doak converting his third penalty of the game to reduce the Ulster arears to 10-9 with just nine minutes of the game remaining. Ulster piled on the pressure in the remaining minutes and had opportunities to win the game. However, the Munster defence remained intact and the home team celebrated their hard earned 10-9 victory when the full-time whistle sounded.

Ulster started the game strongly and pressurised a well organised Leinster defence, but on 18 minutes Ulster full-back Ben McGaughey broke through to finish off a flowing move with an unconverted try. Continued pressure from the home team forced Leinster into conceding a penalty, which Nathan Doak converted. Leinster responded with a Mick O’Gara penalty to reduce their arrears to 8-3. However, the Ulster lead was increased to 11-3 when Doak was successful with another penalty kick. On the stroke of half-time Ulster increased their lead to 18-3 when flying winger, Aaron Sexton, scorched in for a try which Doak converted. The second half proved to be closely contested and the Leinster team worked hard to improve their situation. Fifteen minutes after the restart they got some reward for their enterprise when Cian Prendergast touched down for a try, converted by O’Gara. Ten minutes later their impressive scrum half, Ben Murphy, ran in for a try, once again converted by O’Gara, to reduce the deficit to 18-17. With just five minutes of the game remaining the Leinster team threw everything at the Ulster team, but Ulster captain John McKee ensured his players maintained their discipline and defensive skills to hold out for a well-deserved 18-17 win.




Made with FlippingBook - Online magazine maker