Ulster Rugby vs Saracens


It was probably in the mess room in Carrickfergus Castle, away back in 1865, where a group of army officers sat around the table and decided to find a field somewhere and have a go at this new game called rugby.

Munster in May, during the Carrick Sevens weekend. Events included a tour to West of Scotland in April, with a return visit in August. West of Scotland also having travelled here to mark the 125th Anniversary of both clubs. A Gala Dinner was held in June at the Titanic Building, Belfast, with Brian O’Driscoll as the guest of honour. This event also saw the launch of a commemorative book celebrating 150 years of Carrickfergus RFC. Club President, Bill Crymble, said: “It is truly an honour and privilege to serve as President of Carrickfergus RFC during our 150th Anniversary. The club we see today is a testimony to every single member, past or present, all of whom have helped shape Carrickfergus RFC into the club it is today. A wonderful range of events has made 2015 a year to remember as we celebrate our rich history, but we must also focus on the future and the new chapters, which our players and members will be a part of.” A limited edition 144 page hardback book ‘A history of Carrickfergus Rugby Football Club 1865-2015’ is available from the club, priced £12.50. Contact the club or email kathryn@carrickfergusrfc.co.uk

The earliest record, so far, of a newspaper report was in the Carrickfergus Advertiser, 2nd January 1885, when a 12 a-side match was played on Christmas Day in a field off Woodburn Road. Carrickfergus won by three goals to nil, the tries being secured by J Carson, D Houston, and H McFerran, and the goals kicked by J E Holmes. According to the report ‘the play was very good throughout on both sides. This was the first match of the season, and we hope that it will not be the last of this invigorating game.’ The Carrickfergus team is recorded as: J E Holmes, J Jack (Captain), D Houston, J Carson, J Shearer, H McFerran, A Holmes, R Mackey, R Lattimore, W Carson, J Craig, J Logan. The Schoolboys team: F Armstrong, W Bathurst, W J McMillan, A K Hamilton, J Sproull, H Donald W Meyers, J Patrick, W Gibson, W McMaster, A Parker, D Gillespie. There were quite a few well-known local names on both sides. As the oldest junior club in Ulster and one of the oldest in Ireland, celebrations have taken place throughout the year, with a special 150th Anniversary kit being worn during 2015. The club was particularly proud to host the Junior Ulster Inter-provincial fixture between Ulster v


A historyof Carrickfergus RugbyFootballClub 1865-2015


Made with