Ulster Rugby v Dragons

The Danske Bank Ulster U18 Schools squad will travel to Donnybrook on Saturday afternoon (kick-off 2.30pm) knowing that a win over Leinster would secure the U18 Schools Inter-Provincial series title. ULSTER U18 SCHOOLS SET FOR INTER-PRO DECIDER WITH LEINSTER

With Munster having picked up 5 points from their 4 games, Ulster and Leinster go into Saturday’s final

their situation. Fifteen minutes after the restart they got some reward for their enterprise when Cian Prendergast touched down for a try, converted by O’Gara, to make it 18-10. Ten minutes later their impressive scrum half, Ben Murphy, ran in for a try, once again converted by O’Gara, to leave the minimum between the sides at 18-17. With just five minutes of the game remaining the Leinster team threw everything at the Ulster team, however, Ulster captain, John McKee, ensured his players maintained their discipline and defensive skills to ensure a hard earned, but ultimately well-deserved, 18-17 win. ROUND 3 ULSTER 16-12 MUNSTER SATURDAY 16TH SEPTEMBER OSBORNE PARK Last Saturday, the Ulster Schools’ team avenged their narrow opening round loss to Munster with a 16-12 win in the return fixture at Osborne Park, in what was an absorbing contest. Nathan Doak gave the Ulster team a 3-0 lead in the early stages of the game when he converted a penalty opportunity. Four minutes later the Munster team drew level when Cian Whooley converted a penalty kick of his own. On 9 minutes Doak edged Ulster back into the lead with his second penalty of the game. The Ulster team had a lot of possession throughout the remainder of the half but the Munster defence remained solid, restricting Ulster to just one more Doak penalty just before half-time to make it 9-3. Early Munster pressure after the restart was rewarded when Whooley notched successive penalties to level the sides at 9-9. Midway through the half a clever kick from Robbie Armstrong saw the Ulster team take opposition just outside the Munster 22m area. From the Munster throw Ulster regained possession and finished some great hard yards work with a try from Kevin McNaboe. Doak added the conversion to establish a 16-9 lead. Back came Munster and seven minutes from the end Whooley was successful with his fourth penalty of the game to reduce the Munster deficit to 16-12. Ulster then went on the attack and denied Munster any real territory or possession in the final few minutes of the game, to secure the valuable win.

game on 9 and 10 points respectively. ROUND 1 MUNSTER 10-9 ULSTER MONDAY 28TH AUGUST THOMOND PARK

Following two preparation games against Saracens and Gloucester, the Danske Bank Ulster Schools squad travelled to Limerick for the opening game of the Inter-Provincial series. Munster took an early 3-0 lead with a successful fourth minute penalty, before Nathan Doak levelled the score at 3-3 with a penalty of his own two minutes

ULSTER U18 SCHOOLS later. On 12 minutes the Ulster team spurned a golden try scoring opportunity when the ball was spilled with the Munster try line at their mercy. Four minutes later Doak gave the Ulster team a 6-3 lead when he converted a penalty opportunity. Just before the interval a loose Ulster pass was intercepted by Munster who finished off with a converted try to give the home team a 10-6 lead just before the interval. The second half was another evenly contested affair with Doak converting his third penalty of the game to reduce the Ulster arears to 10-9 with just nine minutes of the game remaining. Ulster piled on the pressure in the remaining minutes and had opportunities to win the game, however, the Munster defence remained intact and the home team celebrated their hard earned 10-9 victory when the final whistle sounded. ROUND 2 ULSTER 18-17 LEINSTER SATURDAY 2ND SEPTEMBER CAMPBELL COLLEGE

The Ulster Schools’ team started their Round 2 game against Leinster in positive fashion, putting the visiting defence under pressure in the early stages. The Leinster defence was well-organised but eighteen minutes into the game the Ulster team took a 5-0 lead when full back, Ben McCaughey, finished off a flowing move with an unconverted try. Continued pressure from the home team forced the visitors into conceding a penalty, which Nathan Doak converted, but Leinster responded with a Mick O’Gara penalty to reduce their arrears to 8-3. The Ulster lead was increased to 11-3 when Doak was successful with another penalty kick. On the stroke of half-time Ulster’s flying winger, Aaron Sexton, scorched in for a try which Doak converted for an 18-3 lead at the break. The second half proved to be closely contested with the Leinster team working hard to improve




Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs